Monday, December 24, 2012

Speed improvement

Here's some tips which I  applied recently on one busy ded server and the result was a significant reduce in disk I/O load and so faster speed, lesser load avg.

- mount /tmp in ramdisk : Here's the /etc/fstab file line related to tmp :
none /tmp tmpfs nr_inodes=200k,mode=01777,nosuid,nodev 0 0

Check if php uses /tmp as session.save_path , mysql also uses /tmp as tmpdir (mysqladmin variables | grep tmpdir). I've notices on websites with high join queries, mysql has a lot of I/O in /tmp so it's recommended to mount this to ram instead of hdd.


- Mysql datadir : /var/lib/mysql  , recommended to mount in a SSD disk which will give you much greater performance.

- nginx + php-fpm  : There're lots of resources on web suggesting that nginx+php-fpm have much more performance rather than php via apache2 handler.

- ... I'll update this post if I found/remember new tricks ...

- More ?

No comments:

Post a Comment

How to disable Debian 12 sleep on production servers

 Debian 12 has power saver enabled by default which causes your server to go to sleep if there is no mouse / keyboard interaction. To resolv...